Rss Feed
  1. Shraddha Kapoor, the pretty young actress who stars in Serendipity Films’ mathematical thriller, Teen Patti, has her net addiction to thank for landing her first role.

    “Ambika (Hinduja, the film’s producer) and my brother Siddhanth are school friends. She saw my pictures in his friends list on Facebook, and thought, ‘Who’s this girl?’ She asked my bro if I’d be interested in her movie, and he answered, ‘Why not? Shraddha has always wanted to act,’” she narrates. Shraddha was then called for an audition, amongst many. “Pata nahin kitne hazaaron logon mein ek main bhi thi jisne audition diya!” she says.
    First movie, first one to be short listed through a social networking site, and also sharing screen space with dad for the first time – too many firsts at the age of 19? But the teen doesn’t think she’s stepped too early into showbiz. “I always wanted to be an actor. I was even offered films when I was 15,” she says. But she did not accept any, for at that time, studies were a priority. “But now that I have finally begun, each day is a new experience,” says the teenager.

    Growing up with a father who’s most popular as a villain did not bother Shraddha. Instead, she enjoyed watching her dad doing serious, negative, as well as comic roles. “It was such a pleasure watching him. He’s so versatile.” But when Shraddha had to be with him on the sets, she was a bundle of nerves. “I was extremely nervous that day. I’d always known him as a father, never as a co-actor. But it was fun too.” Now that she’s a part of Bollywood, any golden instructions from dad? She reveals, “He has never told me ‘Yeh mat karo, woh mat karo.’ Rather, he’s always said, ‘Jo mann mein aaye, woh karo. And enjoy the whole process.’” And she says that this also means that there would be no hassles locking lips or wearing skimpy attire on screen. “He has never taken decisions on my behalf. He knows that I will focus on the beauty of the role, and do whatever suits the script,” she insists.

    Ask her if she thought life is a bed of roses for a star kid, and she has a clear take. “The only advantage of being a star kid is that you know a lot of people already. Newcomers don’t have any contacts, which is why they have a tough time. But beyond contacts, it is your own calibre that can draw the audience to a movie – my dad cannot help my movies be a success,” she states. Shraddha reiterates the fact that she gave an audition for her debut, just like the rest of the three debutantes in the film. “So I don’t see any great advantage.”

    She’s got a similar take on having a famous surname. “I just hope I get successful, whether my surname is Kapoor, Sharma, Dutta, or anything!” she jokes. And who’d she like to work with in the future? “Ranbir Kapoor and Aamir Khan,” comes the reply.

    ***